If you’ve had debt collectors nipping at your heels, you should know you have rights.
By law, debt collectors can’t do certain things.
- They can’t call you before 8 in the morning or after 9 at night.
- They can’t call you at work if you tell them not to.
- A debt collector can’t pretend to be someone else, like an attorney or government agency.
- They can’t talk to anyone but you or your lawyer about your debt.
- They also can’t say obscenities to you.
If you just want them to leave you alone, send them a certified letter to that effect. After that, they can only contact you to tell you they’re taking you to court. So, the debt doesn’t go away. The phone just stops ringing.
If a debt collector breaks the rules, call the Federal Trade Commission or state attorney general. And then it will be the debt collector’s turn to get a nasty phone call.
Do us a favor please. Tell your friends about this blog so they can be smarter about their money too.